June, 2017We are thrilled that The Church of the Transfiguration, located in New York City's Flatiron District, has selected Avidano Digital to create a new website and communications strategy.
A history of inclusion, community, and performance
The Church of the Transfiguration was founded in 1848 and is one of the most famous Episcopal parishes in the United States. In 1967, the church was designated as a New York City landmark, and less than a decade later, listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
From its earliest days, The Church of the Transfiguration has been a leader of the Anglo-Catholic movement which emphasizes inclusion and service to the poor and oppressed. The church has been a longstanding oasis for New Yorkers (and visiting tourists). The sanctuary is set back from the street, behind a peaceful garden evocative of the English countryside.
The Church is often referred to as The Little Church Around the Corner, a nickname it was given in 1870 when the neighboring Church of Atonement—which no longer exists—refused to conduct funeral services for an actor named George Holland (at the time actors were considered social outcasts). The rector of the Church of Atonement suggested there was a little church around the corner where they do that sort of thing. A fellow actor arranging Holland's burial exclaimed:
“If that be so, God bless the little church around the corner!”
The church has since been associated with the theater and today serves as the national headquarters of the Episcopal Actors' Guild.
Upholding the Anglican tradition of a men and boys choir, The Church of the Transfiguration regularly offers free performances.
In the coming months we'll help The Little Church Around the Corner bring their incredible story to life, so they can reach even more people with their remarkable history, inclusive ministry, and beautiful liturgical music.